Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Small steps and a Gluten-free BLT



Lest you think this Celebration took place with a perpetual smile and a continual skip in my step - it did not!  There were compromises and adjustments to be made and finally I came up with a list of requirements that I thought would be essential to the "success" of this new lifestyle-
  • vital that meals could be prepared with virtually the same speed as BC (before Celiac)
  • no compromises on taste
  • important that guests dining with us didn't automatically start bracing themselves to eat "Susan's diet stuff", if they were going to think it was "special" then I wanted it to be because it was scrumptious and satisfying
  • the ability to obtain the majority of ingredients with ease and without doubling my grocery bill
  • comfort foods! - the foods I grew up eating, that made me feel good , the ones I craved whenever I was under the weather or had the blues
Comfort Foods! Summertime! BLT sandwiches!  Celebrate!  This is the time of year when the classic bacon sandwich tastes the very best.  Fresh, ripe, juicy, red tomatoes. Curling, crunchy, green lettuce leaves.  Lean, brown, crispy bacon.  Stacked together between two lightly toasted pieces of bread brushed with a rich and creamy mayonnaise.  Heaven on earth and totally gluten-free!  The farmers market, Boar's Head bacon, Udi's Bread and Hellmans mayonnaise - the road to success is made up of small, delicious steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear from you...